Content of the website
The material on this website is provided to you for general information only. You understand and agree that the material does not constitute advice and has been prepared for distribution over the internet, without taking into account your particular needs or objectives. You understand that your use of the material or any site linked to this website is solely at your own risk.
The Department of Justice and Community Safety (department) has taken reasonable care to ensure that the material is correct and current at the time of publication but makes no warranty, either express or implied, concerning the suitability, reliability, availability, timeliness or accuracy of the material or any linked site for any purpose. We recommend that you obtain your own independent advice before acting on any material.
You understand and acknowledge that the internet is not a secure medium and communications to and from this website may be intercepted or altered in transit. To the extent permitted by law, the department makes no representation or warranty, either express or implied, that this website or any linked site, will be free from anything which may damage any device used to access this website.
Visitors are advised that this website may contain images, or references to people who are deceased.
To the extent permitted by law, the department and its employees and agents are not liable (whether based on contract, tort, negligence, strict liability or otherwise) for any direct, indirect, punitive, incidental or consequential damages or any damages whatsoever including, without limitation:
- damages for loss of use of data, loss of data, loss of profits, loss of revenue, indirect or consequential loss or damage, incurred by or awarded against you or any other person arising out of or in any way connected with the use or performance of the material, this website or any linked site
- any cost, loss, liability or expense arising from death, personal injury or damage to property (including damage to your software, hardware or data) resulting directly or indirectly from your access to or use of the material on, this website or any linked site
This website may be accessed throughout Australia and overseas. The department makes no representation that the content of this website complies with the laws (including intellectual property laws) of any country outside Australia. If you access this website from outside Australia, you do so at your own risk and you are responsible for ensuring compliance with all laws in the place where you are located.
The linked sites are not under the control of the department and the department is not responsible for the contents of any linked site. The department does not endorse any material on a linked site or endorse any associated organisation, product or service.
By accessing a linked site, you agree to any terms of access or use imposed by that linked site. You acknowledge that the department cannot and does not grant any permission, licence or authority to you in respect of the intellectual property rights in a linked site.
Where stated on the website, the department allows you to download particular material from this website. By downloading material from this website, you agree to:
- comply with the terms of our Copyright statement (External link)
- on downloading material, conduct such virus scanning and other checks as may be necessary to ensure that the downloaded material will not corrupt or damage your property (including damage to software, hardware or data) or that of any other person
When you access this website, personal information provided by you is collected by us. If you have any questions in relation to the treatment of your personal information or would like access to your personal information, please refer to the Department of Justice and Community Safety's privacy statement (External link)
Email subscription service
The personal information we collect via the email subscription system is your email address.
In addition to using this information for the purpose of providing our newsletter, we may also use or disclose your personal information for the following purposes:
- Research, the compilation or analysis of statistics, for our business functions or any other purposes required or authorised by law, including under the Privacy and Data Protection Act 2014.
We may preserve the content of any electronic message that we receive from you. Any personal information contained in that message will only be used or disclosed in ways set out as above.