The Community Crime Prevention Unit (CCPU) is a business area in the Department of Justice and Community Safety.
CCPU is responsible for managing the government’s Community Crime Prevention Program, which provides grant funding to communities to address local crime issues.
CCPU’s key priorities are:
- building knowledge and a shared understanding across government and community about crime prevention and effective responses
- strengthening partnerships at a local, state and national level in relation to crime prevention
- supporting the implementation of effective crime prevention measures at both a local and state level
- analysing and reviewing crime prevention initiatives, particularly those funded through the grant programs, to inform future practice.
Regional Crime Prevention Reference Groups
To help engage local communities in crime prevention, the government has established 14 Regional Crime Prevention Reference Groups across Victoria:
- Barwon South West – G21 Region (Barwon)
- Barwon South West – Great South Coast Region (South West)
- Gippsland – East
- Gippsland – South West Central
- Grampians – Central Highlands
- Grampians – Northern Grampians
- Grampians – Horsham
- Loddon Mallee: Northern – Mildura
- Loddon Mallee: Southern – Bendigo
- North Metropolitan
- West Metropolitan
- South East Metropolitan – East
- South East Metropolitan – South.
The purpose of the groups is to build partnerships focused on crime prevention between government departments, local government, police and local organisations. These partnerships will help support local communities to take an active role in preventing crime in their own neighbourhoods and towns.
Membership of the groups may vary but will often include representatives from the following:
- Victoria Police, key government departments and councils
- the judiciary
- Regional Aboriginal Justice Advisory Committees (RAJACs)
- Culturally and Linguistically Diverse (CALD) community services
- youth services and agencies
- family violence and sexual assault services
- community health, victims, housing and homelessness services
- Community Safety Committees
- business associations.