A staged approach to supporting the community safety
Empowering communities brings the community together to listen and respond to community concerns and ideas on how to tackle local issues that impact on crime and safety. The program is implemented in stages over a three year period.
Project progress timeline:
Building Safer Communities Forum
The Ballarat Forum was held online in June 2021, building on the collective wisdom of young people and local stakeholders to consider issues that impact women and vulnerable people in Ballarat. The key themes identified were:
- safety of women, girls, and gender diverse community members
- perceptions of safety
- barriers to reporting
- support, pathways and engagement for young people.
Watch the Ballarat Community Forum Video:
Empowering Communities in Ballarat is coordinated by City of Ballarat. You can contact the Action Group and initiative via Ann Kingston at firstname.lastname@example.org (External link)
Action Group established
The Ballarat Action Group brings together key services and other local stakeholders. The Action Group is responsible for connecting the initiative to the broader community and overseeing its implementation.
Ballarat Action Group Members
The following organisations and stakeholders are represented on the Action Group:
- City of Ballarat
- Local community members representing the diverse community
- Women’s Health Grampians
- Federation University
- Ballarat Community Health
- Ballarat Neighbourhood House
- Ballarat and District Aboriginal Cooperative
- Department of Justice and Community Safety